From: Troy Telford (ttelford_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-24 19:36:36

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:17:09 -0700, Brian Barrett <brbarret_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I'm not sure we could do something like this internally in Open MPI's
> build system and we definitely don't have the developer time to look
> into it in the foreseeable future.

Well, from my knowledge about it, it's pretty much impossible to fix from
your end, even if you did have the time. But I wanted to make sure there
weren't any obvious workarounds at this point in time, and you've been
quite helpful.

> Thinking about it some more, there is one even more icky solution to
> the problem. Again, this is not something the Open MPI development
> team can put cycles into. Last I heard / looked, the TM interface
> and the wire protocol to the pbs_mom hadn't changed much in years and
> years. There's an open source version of PBS out there that includes
> code to implement this wire protocol. There's no reason Open MPI pls
> and ras components couldn't be developed that talked directly to the
> pbs_mom rather than using the published API. Nasty, yes. But it
> might work. And since the PBS Pro libraries wouldn't need to be
> linked in, the -fPIC problem is avoided.

This at earns an evil eyebrow award.

> If you're interested in having a stab at either work-around approach,
> let me know (might be easiest to post to the devel mailing list so
> that we don't bore all the users with the awful details). I'd be
> interested in seeing if something couldn't be done between now and
> when Altair releases PBS Pro libraries for the Opteron compiled with -
> fPIC.

I'll see what I can do to stab this one a few times. But after this post,
I'll it all on the dev list. (I figure I might as well finish the
thread/message in -users, so when a user in my same situation goes
searching through the archives...) Well, that and I need to subscribe to
-dev.

--
Troy Telford