From: Warner Yuen (wyuen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-20 21:38:32

Hi Frank,

I've used OMPI 1.0.1 with Xgrid. I don't think I ran into the same
problem as you with the job hanging. But I'll continue just in case
it helps or helps someone else. The one thing that I noticed was that
Xgrid/OMPI does not allow an MPI application to write out a file
other than to standard output.

In my example when running HP Linpack over an Xgrid enabled OMPI, if
I execute the mpirun with HPL just outputting to the screen,
everything runs fine. However, if I set my hpl.dat file to write out
the results to a file, I get an error:

With 'hpl.dat' set to write to an output file called 'HPL.out' after
executing: mpirun -d -hostfile myhosts -np 4 ./xhpl

portal.private:00545] [0,1,0] ompi_mpi_init completed
HPL ERROR from process # 0, on line 318 of function HPL_pdinfo:
>>> cannot open file HPL.out. <<<

I've tested this with a couple of other applications as well. For
now, the only way I can solve it is if I set my working directory to
allow user nobody to write to my working directory. Hope this helps.

-Warner

Warner Yuen
Apple Computer
email: wyuen_at_[hidden]