From: Michael Kluskens (mkluskens_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-13 08:38:40

On Mar 11, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Jayabrata Chakrabarty wrote:
> Hi I have been looking for information on how to use multiple
> Gigabit Ethernet Interface for MPI communication.
>
> So far what i have found out is i have to use mca_btl_tcp.
>
> But what i wish to know, is what IP Address to assign to each
> Network Interface. I also wish to know if there will be any change
> in the format of "hostfile"
>
> I have two Gigabit Ethernet Interface on a cluster of 5 nodes at
> present.
It seems to me that an easier approach would be to bond the ethernet
interfaces together at the Unix/Linux level and then you have only
one ethernet interface to worry about in MPI. Our Operton-based
cluster shipped with that setup in SUSE Linux. When I rebuilt it
with Debian Linux I configured the ethernet interface bonding myself
using references I found via google. My master node has three
physical interfaces and two ip addresses, all the rest have two
physical interfaces and one ip address.

I have not tested throughput to see if I choose the best type of
bonding, but the choices were clear enough.

michael.