From: Tom Rosmond (rosmond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-09 20:40:53

Troy Telford wrote:

>>The configure seemed to go OK, but the make failed. As you see at the
>>end of the
>>make output, it doesn't like the format of libgm.so. It looks to me
>>that it is using
>>a path (/usr/lib/.....) to 32 bit libraries, rather than 64 bit
>>(/usr/lib64/....). Is this
>>correct? What's the solution?
>>

>First thing's first: Does it compile okay with gcc?

I'm not sure I understand, and besides I am strictly a Fortran guy.
However,
I have made a successful build on this system without 'gm' support, but that
is not very interesting because its executables only run on the
interactive node.
Therefore I don't think its a Fortran compiler problem, especially since
there
is already an MPICH/PGI combination running on the system.

>I say this because PGI's compiler has proven stubborn from time to time:
>I can compile Open MPI with PGI 6.0 just fine, but PGI 6.1 won't compile
>for me either (different reasons, though -- I posted my problem earlier
>this week).
>
>That being said:
>The distros get mixed in my mind, so I'm not sure if yours is one that:
>a.) Puts 32-bit libs in /lib32 and /usr/lib32, with 64-bit libs in /lib64
>and /usr/lib64 (and /lib points to lib64)
>b.) 32-bit libs are in /lib and /usr/lib, and 64-bit are in /lib64 and
>/usr/lib64
>
>If your machine is a 'b' then yes, it does appear to be trying (and
>failing) to use a 32-bit libgm.so

The answer is 'b'

>The first thing I'd do is make sure you have a 64-bit version of libgm.so;
>at least that is what I suspect.
>
>Locate all instances of libgm.so, run 'file libgm.so' to ensure one of 'em
>is 64-bit, and that the 64-bit library is in a path where the linker can
>find it (ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

I checked, and '/usr/lib64/libgm.so' is definitely a 64 bit library, and
I am sure that /usr/lib64 is by default in a path where the linker
looks, since it is
a native 64 bit (Opteron) system. Just to be sure, however, I added
/usr/lib64 to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, with the same results.