From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-14 17:50:20

On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:25 PM, James Conway wrote:

>> Let us know what happens.
>
> By including --mca btl_tcp_if_include on the command line, the ring
> program continues past the first round to completion. So even though
> my non-ethernet interfaces were disabled (airport, firewire), one of
> them seems to have been sufficiently active to get in the way. (In
> fact, about a week ago I started to be suspicious of a hardware fault
> on my PowerBook's airport card, and I have seen it attempting but
> failing to make connections when it was supposedly disabled). The
> Open MPI command line then is:
>
> mpirun --hostfile mpi_hosts --mca btl_tcp_if_include en0 --np 2
> mpi_test1
>
> where en0 goes to the ethernet port on my PowerBook G4, and on to the
> remote PowerMac.

How odd. That shouldn't happen -- we should be detecting that those
IP interfaces aren't active and then not use them.

Sorry for the hassle this caused you -- I'm glad we got you working,
but I'll poke around to see if we can't fix this properly so that you
don't need to specify btl_tcp_if_include (check out the FAQ for more
convenient mechanisms for specifying MCA parameters, such as in the
environment or in a file).

Thanks for the report!

--
{+} Jeff Squyres