From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-10 18:14:02

On Feb 8, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Andreas Fladischer wrote:

> I tested this example with hostname before and it worked well:
>
> the hostfile contains only 2 lines
> pc86
> pc92
>
> and the user wolf doesn't need a password when linking to the other
> pc.the user wolf have the same uid and gui on both pc.
>
> i have also another question: is it possible to use mpi to compile
> some
> programms without changing the source code of the program?

I'm guessing that you're seeing problems because you're trying to use
a serial application in parallel improperly. "make" was not designed
to be invoked in parallel via MPI -- trying to do so can probably
result in several different errors.

MPI is designed for explicit parallelism -- applications that are
written specifically to use MPI (i.e., by invoking the MPI API). So
if you have a non-MPI application and try to "parallelize" it by
running it via MPI, you'll likely either get errors, unexpected
results, or simply N copies of your application running.

If you want to use a parallel software building tool, MPI is probably
not what you are looking for. Andrew suggested distcc and ccache --
you might want to look into them.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project