From: Galen M. Shipman (gshipman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-10 09:52:17

> I've been working for the MVAPICH project for around three years.
> Since
> this thread is discussing MVAPICH, I thought I should post to this
> thread. Galen's description of MVAPICH is not accurate. MVAPICH uses
> RDMA for short message to deliver performance benefits to the
> applications. However, it needs to be designed properly to handle
> scalability while delivering best performance. Since MVAPICH-0.9.6
> (released on 6th December, 2005), MVAPICH has been supporting a new
> mode
> of operation which is called ADAPTIVE_RDMA_FAST_PATH (the basic
> RDMA_FAST_PATH is also supported).
>
> This new design uses RDMA for short message transfer in an intelligent
> and adaptive manner. Using this mode, the memory allocation of
> MVAPICH
> is no longer static. Instead its dynamic. Its an implementation of
> the
> short message RDMA implementation for a limited set of peers (user
> controllable) which Galen is suggesting. MVAPICH already supports this
> feature. This also means that in the paper Galen mentions, the
> comparison results in Figures 4 through 7 have to be re-evaluated to
> make the paper and the results accurate.

I'm not sure how my results and description is not accurate, I was
comparing using
MVAPICH0.9.5-118 which is detailed in my experimental setup.
This was done before your release of MVAPICH-0.9.6.
I do think it is good that you have addressed these shortcomings
however and appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,

Galen