From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-09 23:26:42

On Feb 9, 2006, at 6:50 PM, James Conway wrote:

> I couldn't find any information on firewall ports to open up for
> using OpenMPI. I have compiled and successfully run simple commands
> (eg mpirun with "uname -n") on the localhost, but including remote
> hosts caused a hang. Statements in the remote .cshrc to echo would be
> returned, but nothing would come back from the "uname" command - the
> process hung until I control-c. I looked in the firewall log
> (ipfw.log) on the remotehost but found no messages. However, the
> localhost log showed that a return connection up in the 51000's was
> being blocked, and when I turned off the localhost's firewall, the
> mpirun command would complete correctly. (The remotehost firewall
> remained on).
>
> However, I cannot find a range of ports to open. I am not really
> familiar with the ipfw syntax, and hope to rely on the very simple
> interface provided by Mac OSX 10.4.4 (ie, define a range of ports,
> TCP and/or UDP). Since this is clearly critical, I suspect that I
> must have overlooked some information on the OpenMPI web-site - if
> so, please direct me to it. If I haven't, it might be worth a word or
> two in the FAQ.

Open MPI uses random port numbers for all it's communication. We've
currently been focusing on the tightly integrated cluster
environment, which generally does not have port blocking issues. It
would probably not be difficult to implement a port range scheme, but
that has not been an issue that is scheduled to be addressed in the
short term. For now, your best option is to open the firewall on
your machine to the other machines you wish to use with Open MPI. A
quick search on google for "OS X ipfw" should turn up a couple
references on configuring the OS X firewall to do this
(unfortunately, you can not configure the firewall using the System
Preferences GUI to do this).

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett