From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-04 11:29:30

Brian Granger is correct - the problem is with your Fortran
installation. Since you are trying to use gfortran instead of g77,
you do not need to use the GCC 3.3 toolchain - the GCC 4.0 chain is
the right one to use.

However, gfortran is installed incorrectly on your system. Compiling
a simple code results in warnings that should not be there (from
config.log):

   configure:20505: gfortran -c conftest.f >&5
   gfortran: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'y'

And running a simple code results in even worse problems:

   configure:20670: gfortran conftestf.f conftest.o -o conftest
   gfortran: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'y'
   gfortran: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'M'
   /usr/bin/ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding
may result in
      errors or different symbols being used
   symbol _clogf used from dynamic library /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
(complex.o) not
     from earlier dynamic library /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib(single module)
   ... and so on with a large number of symbols ...

I'd try making sure you have the latest version of the gfortran build
you downloaded. I've found that the one on hpc.sourceforge.net works
pretty well for me, but I rarely do anything more intensive than
making sure the MPI bindings work properly.

Slightly off-topic, but future releases of Open MPI will have a more
clear report when the compiler fails to produce useable executables.
We're aware that the current warnings are a bit misleading.

Hope this helps,

Brian

On Feb 3, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Brian Granger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like it could be a problem with either using gcc 4.x or with
> the fortran you are using. I have compiled OpenMPI on 10.4.4. using
> the compilers:
>
> myhost$ g77 -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/3.4.4/
> specs
> Configured with: ../gcc/configure --enable-threads=posix --enable-
> languages=f77
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.4
>
> myhost$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)
>
> You might want to download g77 and switch gcc to version 3.3 using
> the command:
>
> sudo gcc_select 3.3
>
> Brian
>
> On Feb 3, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Xiaoning (David) Yang wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to configure OPEN MPI 1.0.1 under MAC OS X 10.4.4 and
>> was not
>> successful. Attached are the output from './configure --prefix=/usr/
>> local'
>> and the configure log flle in a tarball. Any help is appreciated!
>>
>> David
>>
>> ***** Correspondence *****
>>

>> <configure_out.tar.bz2>

   Brian Barrett