From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-28 08:55:03

Dave --

 From your config.log, it looks like you had either the environment
variable LDFLAGS or LIBS set to:

        -L~/param/lib -L/opt/local/lib

This is what is causing the libtool error -- the "~" construct is a
shell construct that is only interpreted properly when it begins a
token on the command line (i.e., since it's the 3rd character in the
token above, it is not replaced with your home directory).

Unless you need these -L's for Open MPI to build properly, you might
want to simply unset LDFLAGS / LIBS before running Open MPI's
configure. If you do need them, replace "~" with the full path to
your home directory (or use $HOME, which will be substituted properly
in the middle of a shell command line token).

On Jan 27, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Dave Hudak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having problem with the configure stage of building openmpi.
> I downloaded the 1.0.1 release tarball, unpacked it and ran
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/openmpi | & tee config-output.txt
>
> ...it ran for a couple minutes and then said:
>
> config.status: config.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> configure: /bin/sh './configure' succeeded for opal/libltdl
> checking for libtool-supplied linker flags... libtool error!
> configure: error: Cannot continue
>
> I have attached the config.log and the output of configure. I have
> a PowerMac quad G5, OS X 10.4.4, XCode 2.2, plus assorted utilities
> installed from darwinports and fink.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Hudak
> <dhudak-error.tgz>