From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-06 15:17:43

It looks like the files you sent were corrupted -- I didn't see the
information that I needed to see. Were you working on a case-
insensitive filesystem, perchance? I notice that our instructions on
the web page would probably result in this kind of corruption for
case-insensitive filesystems. I've updated the web page to make the
instructions work on case-insensitive filesystems -- can you go check
the instructions, do it again and re-send? Sorry about that. :-\

Specifically, your config.log file had a big chunk of the beginning
missing -- it was overlaid with the output of configure (which our
instructions previously had you write to config.LOG, and could create
this kind of problem on a case-insensitive filesystem).

FWIW, I just built Open MPI 1.0.1 on a RHEL4U2 machine with gfortran
4.0.2; it correctly identified that there was no real(16) support and
didn't run into the problems that you are seeing (i.e., it didn't try
to make MPI F90 bindings with real(16) parameters). So I'm curious
to see your full logs to figure out why it's failing for you.

On Jan 5, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Jyh-Shyong Ho wrote:

> Dear Jeff,
>
> Thanks for yor reply. I checked and confirmed that my gfortran is
> version 4.0.2, so the
> test program failed since it does not support real(16).
> The log files for configure and make are attached.
> It is strange since I am able to use the same configuration and
> build OpenMPI successfully
> on another SuSE10/AMD 64 computer. Something must be missing.
>
> Best regards
>
> Jyh-Shyong Ho, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> National Center for High Performance Computing
> Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC
>
> Jeff Squyres wrote:
>> What concerns me, though, is that Open MPI shouldn't have tried to
>> compile support for real(16) in the first place -- our configure
>> script should have detected that the compiler didn't support real
>> (16) (which, it at least partially did, because the constants seem
>> to have a value of -1) and then the generated F90 bindings should
>> not have included support for it. This is why I'd like to see the
>> configure output (etc.) and see what happened. On Jan 5, 2006, at
>> 12:59 PM, rod mach wrote:
>>> Hi. To my knowledge you must be using gfortran 4.1 not 4.0 to get
>>> access to large kind support like real(16) You can verify by
>>> trying to compile the following code with gfortran. This compiles
>>> under gfortran 4.1, but I don't believe it will work under 4.0
>>> since this support was added in 4.1. program test real(16) :: x,
>>> y y = 4.0_16 x = sqrt(y) print *, x end --Rod ------ Rod Mach
>>> Absoft HPC Technical Director www.absoft.com
>
> <config.log.tgz>
> <make.log.tgz>