From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-04 18:21:05

Anthony --

I'm really sorry; we just noticed this message today -- it got lost
in the post-SC recovery/holiday craziness. :-(

Your request is fairly reasonable, but I wouldn't want to make it the
default behavior. Specifically, I can envision some scenarios where
it might be problematic (e.g., heterogeneous situations -- which we
don't yet support, but definitely will someday).

How about this -- an ISV asked me for a similar feature a little
while ago: if mpirun is invoked with an absolute pathname, then use
that base directory (minus the difference from $bindir) as an option
to an implicit --prefix.

(your suggestion may actually be parsed as exactly that, but I wasn't
entirely sure)

On Nov 22, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony Chan wrote:

> This is not a bug just wonder if this can be improved. I have been
> running openmpi linked program with command
>
> <openmpi-install-dir>/bin/mpirun --prefix <openmpi-install-dir> \
> --host A -np N a.out
>
> My understanding is that --prefix allows extra search path in
> addition to
> PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, correct me if I am wrong. Assuming that
> openmpi's install directory structure is fixed, would it possible for
> mpirun to search <openmpi-install-dir> automatically for libmpi.so &
> friends so to avoid the redundant --prefix <openmpi-install-dir> to
> mpirun ?
>
> Thanks,
> A.Chan

{+} Jeff Squyres