From: Enzo (m_enzo69_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-03 10:21:35

--- Brian Barrett <brbarret_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Enzo wrote:
>
> > There are several mentions of Rendezvous in
> various places.
> > However, I cannot find out how to start using it.
> I am assuming
> > that open-mpi's Rendezvous is the same as Zero
> Config (a.k.a
> > Bonjour in Apple speak)? If not, are there plans
> to use Zero Config
> > to find machines.resources?
>
> Open MPI does not use Rendezvous / Zero Config /
> Bonjour in any way.
> Mentions of rendezvous on the Open MPI web page
> refer to a protocol
> used for transmitting messages between processes.
> The sending
> process sends a short header fragment to the
> receiving process, which
> then sends an acknowledgment when the receiving
> buffer is ready,
> allowing the sending process to send the rest of the
> data. The
> protocol saves the MPI implementation from copying
> data for
> unexpected receives and provides the required
> synchronization for
> MPI_Ssend.
>
> It's probably possible to use Bonjour / Zero Config
> for resource
> discovery for Open MPI, but it really only helps in
> resource
> discovery -- scheduling and allocating resources
> would still have to
> be done. We do, however, support the use of Apple's
> XGrid system for
> job startup.
>
> Brian

Thanks that explains it and why it didn't look like
zero config (from the source code). I've been using
XGrid but the big problem with that is that I don't
know how many nodes are actually available under the
new version. Zero config can be used on various
systems and it might not be to hard to make some
simple daemon that receives requests and then spawns
the job. Security would not be the best however.

enzo