From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-02 23:24:32

On Jan 2, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Enzo wrote:

> There are several mentions of Rendezvous in various places.
> However, I cannot find out how to start using it. I am assuming
> that open-mpi's Rendezvous is the same as Zero Config (a.k.a
> Bonjour in Apple speak)? If not, are there plans to use Zero Config
> to find machines.resources?

Open MPI does not use Rendezvous / Zero Config / Bonjour in any way.
Mentions of rendezvous on the Open MPI web page refer to a protocol
used for transmitting messages between processes. The sending
process sends a short header fragment to the receiving process, which
then sends an acknowledgment when the receiving buffer is ready,
allowing the sending process to send the rest of the data. The
protocol saves the MPI implementation from copying data for
unexpected receives and provides the required synchronization for
MPI_Ssend.

It's probably possible to use Bonjour / Zero Config for resource
discovery for Open MPI, but it really only helps in resource
discovery -- scheduling and allocating resources would still have to
be done. We do, however, support the use of Apple's XGrid system for
job startup.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett