From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-06 15:35:19

With Tim's response to this -- I'm curious (so that we get correct
information on the FAQ) -- is the /etc/security/limit.conf method a
system-wide way of setting these values, and "ulimit -l" a per-user
way of setting it?

That doesn't sound quite right to me -- I'm assuming that a user
can't "ulimit -l X" where X is larger than the numbers in /etc/
security/limits.conf -- can someone confirm if this is Right?

Also, is each user's default "ulimit -l" value the same as what is
in /etc/security/limits.conf? (what's the difference between "hard"
and "soft" limits?)

On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Galen M. Shipman wrote:

> Hi Daryl,
>
> Sounds like this might be a ulimit issue, what do you get when you
> run ulimit -l?
>
> Also, check out: http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=infiniband
>
> Thanks,
>
> Galen
>
> On Dec 6, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Daryl W. Grunau wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm running OMPI 1.1a1r8378 on 2.6.14 + recent OpenIB stack and
>> getting
>> the following runtime error:
>>
>> [0,1,0][btl_openib.c:803:mca_btl_openib_module_init] error creating
>> high priority cq for mthca0 errno says Cannot allocate memory
>> [0,1,3][btl_openib.c:803:mca_btl_openib_module_init] error creating
>> high priority cq for mthca0 errno says Cannot allocate memory
>> [0,1,1][btl_openib.c:803:mca_btl_openib_module_init] error creating
>> high priority cq for mthca0 errno says Cannot allocate memory
>> [0,1,2][btl_openib.c:803:mca_btl_openib_module_init] error creating
>> high priority cq for mthca0 errno says Cannot allocate memory
>>

>> Strange thing is that it works properly when I run as root. A
>> permissions
>> problem on my part? My devices look like:
>>
>> # ls -l /dev/infiniband/*
>> crw------- 1 root root 231, 64 Dec 5 17:16 /dev/infiniband/
>> issm0
>> crw------- 1 root root 231, 65 Dec 5 17:16 /dev/infiniband/
>> issm1
>> crw------- 1 root root 231, 0 Dec 5 17:16 /dev/infiniband/
>> umad0
>> crw------- 1 root root 231, 1 Dec 5 17:16 /dev/infiniband/
>> umad1
>> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231, 192 Dec 5 17:16 /dev/infiniband/
>> uverbs0
>>
>> Daryl
>>
>> --
>> ***** Correspondence *****