From: Rainer Keller (Keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-23 06:40:48

Hello Anthony,
On Tuesday 22 November 2005 18:20, Anthony Chan wrote:
> This is not a bug just wonder if this can be improved. I have been
> running openmpi linked program with command
>
> <openmpi-install-dir>/bin/mpirun --prefix <openmpi-install-dir> \
> --host A -np N a.out
>
> My understanding is that --prefix allows extra search path in addition to
> PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, correct me if I am wrong. Assuming that
> openmpi's install directory structure is fixed, would it possible for
> mpirun to search <openmpi-install-dir> automatically for libmpi.so &
> friends so to avoid the redundant --prefix <openmpi-install-dir> to
> mpirun ?
The problem is, that You need the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to the
ompi/orte-libraries installed on Your system
However, with rsh-based startup-method, those paths may not be set on the
actual node.
Therefore, one solution is to copy those flags responsible with -x PATH and -x
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or shorter to use --prefix so that the rsh-code sets these
env.-flags itself.

However, You may need to play with the --mca rsh_assume_same_shell 0 flag to
the mpirun startup to figure out the way these flags should be set (bash/sh,
tcsh/csh-way)... Otherwise, it assumes the same shell as on the machine You
run the mpirun/mpiexec.

With best regards,
Rainer

Dipl.-Inf. Rainer Keller       email: keller_at_[hidden]
  High Performance Computing     Tel: ++49 (0)711-685 5858
    Center Stuttgart (HLRS)        Fax: ++49 (0)711-678 7626
  POSTAL:Nobelstrasse 19             http://www.hlrs.de/people/keller
  ACTUAL:Allmandring 30, R. O.030
  70550 Stuttgart