From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-17 14:00:15

The MX library call exit if the error handler is not set before the
initialization. This error get fixed, it will get into the tarball
shortly.

Meanwhile you can use the btl_base_exclude=mx,gm in order to force them to
be skipped.

   Thanks,
     george.

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Troy Telford wrote:

> I wouldn't be suprised if this is simply an issue of configuration:
>
> In my test cluster, I've got Myrinet, InfiniBand, and Gigabit Ethernet
> support.
>
> My understanding is that when you use 'mpirun' without specifying an MCA
> (including systemwide and/or user configurations in ~/.openmpi) , OpenMPI
> will simply attempt to use the modules that it can use.
>
> This mostly works; however I have found a bug in its mechanism. (By no
> means a showstopper, but mildly annoying).
>
> I have both the MX and GM BTL components installed; only one set of
> drivers can be loaded for the Myrinet hardware at a given time. If I have
> the 'MX' drivers installed, mpirun will flash a message to stderr about
> the GM component not being able to find hardware
> ***
> [0,1,0]: Myrinet/GM on host n61 was unable to find any NICs.
> Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
> lower performance.
> ***
> -- but OpenMPI simply (for lack of a better phrase) 'fails over' and uses
> MX. And everything is happy.
>
> However, if I have the 'GM' drivers installed, I recieve a message that
> the MX component couldn't find Myrinet hardware, and OpenMPI aborts.
> ***
> MX:n62:mx_init:querying driver for version info:error 1:Failure querying
> MX driver(wrong driver?)
> last syscall error=2:No such file or directory
> MX:Aborting
> ***
>
> And if /neither/ MX nor GM is loaded (leaving me with Gigabit Ethernet), I
> receive both error messages (and it exits).
>
> Removing the MX components (I package it all up in RPM's; makes it easier
> to manage) will then allow OpenMPI to 'failover' to TCP. (Producing the
> same warning as when the GM component 'fails over' to MX).
>
> The openib and mvapi components seem to behave properly, failing over to a
> usable interface and continuing execution.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite
hope."
                                   Martin Luther King