From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-16 08:16:31

Konstantin Karganov wrote:

>>The Open MPI Team will be at SC this year.
>>I am co-hosting a BOF entitled "Why MPI Makes You Scream! And how can
>>we simplify parallel debugging?"
>>

>By the way (though it may be offtopic here)...
>
>Does anybody know some statistics on MPI usage. e.i. :
>- percentage of C, C++, Fortran MPI programs
>- percentage of SPMD and MPMD programs
>- MPI function an function groups usage (how many people use
>topologies, asynchronous IO, communicator attributes etc.)
>- average number of nodes for running and for debugging
>
>I suppose this can be interesting for all MPI community as a valuable
>feedback from those who use MPI for real applications. There was a
>survey on SC'93 on the usage of debugging tools (
>http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/pancake94what.html ) and It might be
>possible (if its not too late now) to do something alike.

There has been at least one project analysing these kind of things, look
e.g. at
http://www.hlrs.de/people/rabenseifner/publ/publications.html

for papers about automatic MPI counter profiling. These were studies
about the usage of MPI at two different HPC centers.

Best regards
Edgar

>--
>Best regards,
>Konstantin.

Edgar Gabriel
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science          email:gabriel_at_[hidden]
University of Houston                   http://www.cs.uh.edu/~gabriel
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857
Houston, TX-77204, USA                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335