From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-10 11:30:56

Clarification on this -- my earlier response wasn't quite right...

We actually do not provide F90 bindings for MPI_Reduce (and several
other collectives) because they have 2 user-provided buffers. This
means that for N intrinsic types, there are N^2 possible overloads for
this function (because F90 is strongly typed -- there's actually even
more than N^2 because of all the array dimension possibilities).
Although Open MPI can generate all those F90 interfaces, we have not
yet run into a compiler that does not seg fault when we try to have
that many subroutines in a single module.

Hence, we don't generate subroutines for those functions -- that's what
you were seeing (you could compile, but you couldn't link). The
problem was that we were actually generating the interfaces -- which
meant your compiler was looking for a F90 subroutine, but we didn't
provide it.

The correct solution was for us to remove the F90 MPI_Reduce (and
friend) interfaces so that you'll automatically fall down through and
utilize the F77 bindings for MPI_Reduce (unfortunately, there's no type
checking, but at least it compiles/links/runs). I've committed this on
both the trunk and the branch; it'll be in tomorrow's nightly tarballs.

This problem is actually a well-known deficiency in the MPI F90
bindings; it's been mentioned a few places, probably the most recent of
which is in our paper proposing new MPI Fortran bindings:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/euro-pvmmpi-2005-fortran

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project