From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-28 16:52:30

On Oct 28, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Troy Telford wrote:

>> Excellent. Many thanks for all your diligence here -- this is
>> extremely helpful to us!
>
> Believe me, I have a pretty big interest in helping OpenMPI succeed.
> Much
> of what OpenMPI can already do solves so many things.

Glad to hear it; this is one of the reasons Open MPI exists.

When we all first started talking about collaborating (just about 2
years ago), we initially thought we'd just write some common components
for each of our MPI implementations (LAM/MPI, LA-MPI, FT-MPI). But we
eventually came to the realization that each of our projects had good
*and* bad points, and it was strategically a much better move -- both
for us and for the greater HPC community -- to just completely start
over with a blank slate and as few preconceptions as possible. Hence,
Open MPI was born.

The point here is that if/when you find things that Open MPI
does/doesn't do that is a point point for you, please be sure to let us
know.

>> Can you grab either the latest v1.0 SVN
>> or the v1.0 snapshot and give it a whirl?
>
> Sure, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks!

> Just out of curiosity -- do you test OpenMPI for memory leaks using
> Valgrind (or similar)?

Yes. Unfortunately, we've still got some work to do there, too. :-\

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project