From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-04 09:18:20

On Jul 4, 2005, at 3:33 AM, Koray Berk wrote:

> This is Koray Berk, from Istanbul Technical University.
> We have a high performance computing lab, with diverse platforms and
> therefore interested in various mpi developments/projects.
>
> I have been instructed by my vice dean to start playing around with
> open
> mpi, to get a feeling and understanding of it.
> However, as far as I understand, right now, there is nothing for me to
> do but wait until further releases are made, the web site says, you
> dont
> accept new alpha testers anymore. Is this really the case, or am I
> missing something?

You are correct - we are not making our alpha release available to
new testers. We received lots of good feedback, went back and fixed
a bunch of stuff, and are preparing a public beta release.

> Do you have an estimate of a next release?

Soon :). We're in the final Q/A stages of the beta release and doing
some of the final paperwork all the institutions require for software
releases. After many years of doing LAM/MPI releases (and now Open
MPI releases), I'm hesitant to give a firmer response than that -- it
tends to guarantee that whatever I say won't come true. As for our
future release plans beyond the beta, you might want to take a look
at the mailing list archives from last month.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer