From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-16 20:01:41

On Jun 16, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Jonathan Day wrote:

> Just a couple of additional thoughts. First off, when
> Open MPI officially goes gold, I would suggest one of
> the developers puts up a listing on Freshmeat, as
> there are a lot of academics using that to track
> projects these days.

Will do.

We've also got the "announce" mailing list -- a low volume list just
for announcing new releases (and *exciting* messages about products you
might be interested in... just kidding.).

> Secondly, it's great that Open MPI is going to use a
> CPAN-like archive - the projects I know of that do
> this are Perl, Python and TeX, and I use all three
> extensively. The main problem with such archives is
> that they tend not to be that well known and it can be
> hard to track updates on them. Perhaps it might be
> worth using RSS as a notification service for your

Not a bad idea. I don't know anything about RSS, but I assume that
there's some perl modules that can cure that pretty easily.

> COMAN (Comprehensive Open MPI Archive Network)
> repository?

:-)

> Third, although there'll likely be some source changes
> between now and the beta, the configure/make options
> are presumably pretty stable, so it would be easy for
> me to use the "accident" to draw up a suggested .spec
> file for you, so you (or users) can roll RPMs from the
> tarball, if you'd be interested.

Thanks for the offer!

We actually got a lot of help in this area from Greg Kurtzer from LBL
(of cAos/Warewulf/Centos fame). He helped us a bunch with our
[previously extremely lame] LAM/MPI .spec file, and then offered to
write one for Open MPI (which he did about a month or two ago).

I have some random user questions about RPMs, though:

1. Would you prefer an all-in-one Open MPI RPM, or would you prefer
multiple RPMs (e.g., openmpi-doc, openmpi-devel, openmpi-runtime,
...etc.)?

2. We're definitely going to provide an SRPM suitable for "rpmbuild
--rebuild". However, we're not 100% sure that it's worthwhile to
provide binary RPMs because everyone's cluster/development systems seem
to be "one off" from standard Linux distros. Do you want a binary
RPM(s)? If so, for which distros? (this is one area where vendors
tend to have dramatically different views than academics/researchers)

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project