From: Ben Allan (baallan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-15 18:02:05

[an aside for the mailing list admin before the main message:
I want to subscribe a secondary address
and then check the box that
says nomail in the mailman membership list.
The secondary address can post mail but runs no
server to accept inbound mail, which tends to squish
the confirm portion of the subscribe dialog.
]

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:17:09PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> The ompi_info command was directly derived from the LAM/MPI laminfo
> command. However, I've never liked the fact that there's a "_" in the
> name. Should it be renamed? Options I see are:

I, for obvious reasons (mainly to do with 'well, most projects name it that'),
will vote for open-mpi-config and/or openmpi-config.

In perusing the output of -al from ompi_info, some oddities
1)
For us sedders
MCA base: seems to have several instances of
$heading : parameter $name default {linebreak}
        $somevalue
which might be awk friendly, but i'm not sure how sed amateur
friendly it is. Typically this is around long path names.

2)
A nice catalog of flags used at compile, prefix dirs etc is provided,
thank god and or Jeff. Of course ompi_info --help didn't tell me that.
However, the compiler variables specify unadorned
and hence unuseful names like
          C++ compiler: g++
      Fortran77 compiler: g77
      Fortran90 compiler: none
which just cause problems on the *very good* chance
that the user has a different path or installs new compilers.
I can't count the number of times i've "debugged" some user
trying to compile c++ code with a mismatched mpic[xx,++] wrapper.
Please, extract the full path name to the compilers your
wrappers are going to invoke and put them in ompi_info.

thanks,
(an incrementally happier) Ben