From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-15 13:47:57

On Jun 15, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Brian Barrett wrote:
>
>>> It would be nice if the c++ compiler wrapper were
>>> installed under mpicxx, mpiCC, and mpic++ instead of
>>> just the latter 2.
>>
>> Yeah, we can do that, no problem.
>
> Sorry for the silly question, but is there any kind of document or
> formal recommendation regarding the naming of these wrappers ?

Not really. They are traditionally mpicc, mpiCC, and mpif77 because
the comercial Unix systems traditionally named their compilers cc,
CC, and f77. LAM added mpic++ because on OS X and Windoes, mpicc and
mpiCC may be the same file. The choice of mpic++ was because it's
the C++ compiler and because GNU chose g++ as the name of their C++
compiler.

That's about it for logic. cxx is the usual way of specifying C++
when you can't use a + sign (such as variable names). I'm assuming
the request was due to something along those lines. Right now, the
following wrapper compilers are provided by Open MPI:

C: mpicc
C++: mpic++, mpicxx, mpiCC (last one is only on case-sensitive
file systems)
Fortran 77: mpif77
Fortran 90: mpif90

Make any sense?