Open MPI logo

Network Locality Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [netloc-devel] First cut of Jansson integration
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-17 09:34:29

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2014, at 4:36 PM, Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > How hard would it be if we ever need to upgrade to a newer jansson? Did
> > you have to tweak jansson significantly? Do we care?
>
> I copied their configure.ac to jansson.m4 and snipped out a few things
> (e.g., AC_INIT, AC_OUTPUT, and a few other things). I then snipped out
> some Makefile.am SUBDIRS like doc, tests, etc. I then was able to "git rm
> ..." those directories altogether.
>
> I changed no C code -- just a few minor tweaks in the configury/build
> system.
>
> So: updating to a new jansson won't be hard. Perhaps an hour or so worth
> of work.

Cool. Thanks!

> > Did we have another hard dependency on some Perl package (maybe JSON) at
> > some point? I don't remember well.
>
> Josh?

Yea. The perl scripts that process/parse the network data in the readers
use the JSON perl library to pre-package the data before being converted
into the netloc format. We can probably find a way away from that
dependency fairly easily. It is currently only being used to aid in the
initial collection of data. We could define our own format or use a
different technique (that was just easiest at the time).

For the SNMP/LLDP reader we might increase the number of Perl dependencies,
if the library I am playing with works out.

I'm not sure if there is an elegant way to slurp these perl libraries into
the netloc codebase (if the license allows).

> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

Joshua Hursey