Open MPI logo

Network Locality Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [netloc-devel] First cut of integrating netloc into OMPI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-30 17:41:46

On Jan 30, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> 1. Then configure checks that -lnetloc works. This fails because I need to also ensure that the right -L is in LDFLAGS to find libjansson. Annoying, but do-able on the configure command line.
>
> We need a pkg-config for netloc?

Might not be a bad idea...

>> 2. But even after adding LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/libjansson, the configury test fails because libnetloc depends on libhwloc. OMPI typically builds its own embedded hwloc, and this doesn't exist yet. So trying to link against libnetloc is guaranteed to fail. This is a chicken-and-egg problem.
>
> If you're linking with an external libnetloc, I would say you should use
> the external libhwloc that libnetloc was built against (and pkg-config
> would bring that too) ?

Possibly. But ompi has already setup to link against a libhwloc (it might be internal or external). That's the real issue.

More specifically: the hwloc API needs to be visible to OMPI.

I wonder if we need to separate the mapping functionality from libnetloc -- then libnetloc is standalone and doesn't require hwloc. Then the mapping functionality, which requires both netloc and hwloc... well, that doesn't work, either. :-\