Open MPI logo

MTT Users Mailing List Archives

From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-21 15:06:27

On Sep 21, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Mohamad Chaarawi wrote:

> Attached..
>
> something to do with libumad i guess..

configure:3032: gcc -D_X86_64_ -D_SMP_ -DUSE_HEADER_CACHING -
DONE_SIDED -DMPID_USE_SEQUENCE_NUMBERS -D_SHMEM_COLL_ -I/usr/local/
ofed/include -O2 conftest.c -L/usr/local/ofed/lib64 -libverbs -
libumad -lpthread >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -libumad

Weird. I see that both MVAPICH and MVAPICH2 hard-code LIBS to
include -lumad.

What version of OFED do you have installed? I don't remember if
libumad was something new in OFED 1.2 or not (I see it installed via
OFED 1.2 but I don't have any machines left that have OFED 1.1
installed).

You may want to run it by hand and run it through MTT and compare the
config.logs -- *something* is different if it works by hand and
doesn't work via MTT...

See below.

> interesting enough, if i run mtt driectly from the head node
> (before i was submitting it as a batch job), the C test passes, but
> the configure is picking up g77 instead gfortran, which fails the
> f77 tests since gcc-4.2.0 doesn't have g77..

Looking through their two make.* scripts, you can setenv F77 in the
MPI install section to override this. This will override their hard-
coded default of g77.

Similarly, you can override their settings of -lumad by setenv'ing
your own LIBS in the MPI install section. Look at their make.*
scripts to see the values that they're setting and then set your own
override without -lumad (if that's the proper solution).

Make sense?

> [...]
>>> nowhere. Probably it's some environment settings being messed up
>>> somewhere, but i don't know..
>>> If anyone has stumbled upon this before, let me know..
>>> I attached my ini file..
>>>

>>> OUT:Configuring MVAPICH2...
>>> OUT:Configuring MPICH2 version MVAPICH2-0.9.8 with
>>> --prefix=/home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/
>>> NhjQ/ install
>>> --with-device=osu_ch3:mrail --with-rdma=gen2 --with-pm=mpd
>>> --disable-romio --without-mpe
>>> OUT:sourcing
>>> /home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/NhjQ/src/
>>> mvapich2-0.9.8
>>> p3/src/pm/mpd/setup_pm
>>> OUT:checking for gcc... OUT:gcc
>>> OUT:checking for C compiler default output file name...
>>> OUT:configure:
>>> error: C compiler cannot create executables
>>> See `config.log' for more details.
>>> OUT:Configuring MPICH2 version MVAPICH2-0.9.8 with
>>> --prefix=/home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/
>>> NhjQ/ install
>>> --with-device=osu_ch3:mrail --with-rdma=gen2 --with-pm=mpd
>>> --disable-romio --without-mpe
>>> sourcing
>>> /home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/NhjQ/src/
>>> mvapich2-0.9.8
>>> p3/src/pm/mpd/setup_pm
>>> checking for gcc... gcc
>>> checking for C compiler default output file name...
>>> configure: error: C
>>> compiler cannot create executables
>>> See `config.log' for more details.
>>> OUT:Failure in configuration.
>>> Please file an error report to mvapich-discuss_at_cse.ohio-
>>> state.edu with
>>> all your log files.
>>> Command complete, exit status: 1
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mohamad Chaarawi
>>> Instructional Assistant http://www.cs.uh.edu/~mschaara
>>> Department of Computer Science University of Houston
>>> 4800 Calhoun, PGH Room 526 Houston, TX 77204, USA
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # Generic OMPI core performance testing template configuration
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [MTT]
>>> # Leave this string so that we can identify this data subset in the
>>> # database
>>> # OMPI Core: Use a "test" label until we're ready to run real
>>> results
>>> description = [testbake]
>>> #description = [2007 collective performance bakeoff]
>>> # OMPI Core: Use the "trial" flag until we're ready to run real
>>> results
>>> trial = 1
>>>
>>> # Put other values here as relevant to your environment.
>>>
>>> #-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- -
>>>
>>> [Lock]
>>> # Put values here as relevant to your environment.

>>> save_stdout_on_success = 1
>>> merge_stdout_stderr = 0
>>> # Adjust this for your site (this is what works at Cisco).
>>> Needed to
>>> # launch in SLURM; adding this to LD_LIBRARY_PATH here propagates
>>> this
>>> # all the way through the test run phases that use this MPI install,
>>> # where the test executables will need to have this set.
>>> prepend_path = LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/SLURM/lib
>>>
>>> module = MVAPICH2
>>> # Adjust this to be where your OFED is installed
>>> mvapich2_setenv = OPEN_IB_HOME /usr/local/ofed
>>> mvapich2_build_script = make.mvapich2.ofa
>>> mvapich2_compiler_name = gnu
>>> mvapich2_compiler_version = &get_gcc_version()
>>> # These are needed to launch through SLURM; adjust as appropriate.
>>> mvapich2_additional_wrapper_ldflags = -L/opt/SLURM/lib
>>> mvapich2_additional_wrapper_libs = -lpmi
>>>
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # MPI run details
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [MPI Details: MVAPICH2]
>>>
>>> # Launching through SLURM. If you use mpdboot instead, you need to
>>> # ensure that multiple mpd's on the same node don't conflict (or
>>> never
>>> # happen).
>>> exec = srun @alloc@ -n &test_np() &test_executable() &test_argv()
>>>
>>> # If not using SLURM, you'll need something like this (not tested).
>>> # You may need different hostfiles for running by slot/by node.
>>> #exec = mpiexec -np &test_np() --host &hostlist() &test_executable()
>>>
>>> network = loopback,verbs,shmem
>>>
>>> # In this example, each node has 4 CPUs, so to launch "by node",
>>> just
>>> # specify that each MPI process will use 4 CPUs.
>>> alloc = &if(&eq(&test_alloc(), "node"), "-c 2", "")
>>>
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # Test get phase
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [Test get: skampi]
>>> module = SVN
>>> svn_url = https://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi-tests/trunk/skampi-5.0.1
>>>
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # Test build phase
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [Test build: skampi]
>>> test_get = skampi
>>> save_stdout_on_success = 1
>>> merge_stdout_stderr = 1
>>> stderr_save_lines = 100
>>>
>>> module = Shell
>>> # Set EVERYONE_CAN_MPI_IO for HP MPI
>>> shell_build_command = <<EOT
>>> make CFLAGS="-O2 -DPRODUCE_SPARSE_OUTPUT -DEVERYONE_CAN_MPI_IO"
>>> EOT
>>>
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # Test Run phase
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [Test run: skampi]
>>> test_build = skampi
>>> pass = &and(&cmd_wifexited(), &eq(&cmd_wexitstatus(), 0))
>>> # Timeout hueristic: 10 minutes
>>> timeout = 10:00
>>> save_stdout_on_pass = 1
>>> # Ensure to leave this value as "-1", or performance results
>>> could be lost!
>>> stdout_save_lines = -1
>>> merge_stdout_stderr = 1
>>> np = &env_max_procs()
>>>
>>> argv = -i &find("mtt_.+.ski", "input_files_bakeoff")
>>>
>>> specify_module = Simple
>>> analyze_module = SKaMPI
>>>
>>> simple_pass:tests = skampi
>>>
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>> # Reporter phase
>>> #===================================================================
>>> == =
>>>
>>> [Reporter: IU database]
>>> module = MTTDatabase
>>>
>>> mttdatabase_realm = OMPI
>>> mttdatabase_url = https://www.open-mpi.org/mtt/submit/
>>> # Change this to be the username and password for your submit user.
>>> # Get this from the OMPI MTT administrator.
>>> mttdatabase_username = uh
>>> mttdatabase_password = &stringify(&cat("/home/mschaara/mtt-
>>> testing/ mtt-db-password.txt"))
>>> # Change this to be some short string identifying your cluster.
>>> mttdatabase_platform = shark
>>>
>>> mttdatabase_debug_filename = mttdb_debug_file_perf
>>> mttdatabase_keep_debug_files = 1
>>>
>>> #-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- -
>>>
>>> # This is a backup reporter; it also writes results to a local text
>>> # file
>>>
>>> [Reporter: text file backup]
>>> module = TextFile
>>>
>>> textfile_filename = $phase-$section-$mpi_name-$mpi_version.txt
>>>
>>> textfile_summary_header = <<EOT
>>> Hostname: &shell("hostname")
>>> uname: &shell("uname -a")
>>> Username: &shell("who am i")
>>> EOT
>>>
>>> textfile_summary_footer =
>>> textfile_detail_header =
> [...]
> SHLIB_INSTALL=''
> SIZEOF_MPI_STATUS=''
> TESTCPP=''
> THR_CFLAGS=''
> THR_CPPFLAGS=''
> THR_DEFS=''
> THR_LDFLAGS=''
> THR_LIBS=''
> VERSION='MVAPICH2-0.9.8'
> VPATH=''
> ac_ct_CC='gcc'
> ac_ct_CXX=''
> ac_ct_F77=''
> ac_ct_F90=''
> ac_ct_RANLIB=''
> bindings=''
> bindings_dirs=''
> bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
> build_alias=''
> datadir='${prefix}/share'
> debugger_dir=''
> device_name='osu_ch3'
> docdir='${prefix}/doc'
> exec_prefix='NONE'
> host_alias=''
> htmldir='${prefix}/www'
> includedir='${prefix}/include'
> infodir='${prefix}/info'
> libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
> libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
> localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
> logging_dir=''
> logging_name='none'
> logging_subdirs=''
> mandir='${prefix}/man'
> master_top_builddir='/home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/
> installs/UvUA/src/mvapich2-0.9.8p3'
> master_top_srcdir='/home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/
> UvUA/src/mvapich2-0.9.8p3'
> modincdir=''
> mpe_dir=''
> nameserv_name=''
> oldincludedir='/usr/include'
> other_install_dirs=' src/pm/mpd'
> other_pm_names=''
> pac_prog=''
> pm_name='mpd'
> pmi_name='simple'
> prefix='/home/mschaara/mtt-testing/scratch-coll/installs/UvUA/install'
> program_transform_name='s,x,x,'
> romio_dir=''
> sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
> sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com'
> subdirs=''
> subsystems=' src/pmi/simple src/pm/mpd'
> sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc'
> target_alias=''
>
> ## ------------- ##
> ## Output files. ##
> ## ------------- ##
>
> MPE_THREAD_FUNCS=''
> MPE_THREAD_TYPEDEFS=''
>
> ## ----------- ##
> ## confdefs.h. ##
> ## ----------- ##
>
> #define HAVE_ERROR_CHECKING MPID_ERROR_LEVEL_ALL
> #define MPICH_ERROR_MSG_LEVEL MPICH_ERROR_MSG_ALL
> #define MPICH_SINGLE_THREADED 1
> #define MPICH_THREAD_LEVEL MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED
> #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> #define USE_LOGGING MPID_LOGGING_NONE
> #define USE_THREAD_IMPL MPICH_THREAD_IMPL_NONE

Cisco Systems