Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-23 18:03:09

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:41 AM, Ethan Mallove wrote:

>> After our first experiments with MTT I'd like to ask a
>> couple of questions. I guess, if I put them here the
>> answers will go to the list archive as well. maybe I can
>> write a wiki page for the first steps towards MTT, too.
>> This leads me to the first question? what's the
>> login/passwd for the wiki? And how about the central data
>> base for results? probably that answers should not go to
>> the list.
> There's anonymous read-only access to the wiki.

Also, if you have an SVN account with Open MPI, you should be able to
login to the wiki and write to the pages, submit tickets, etc. I
honestly don't remember if we set you up with an SVN account -- did we?

> You need an HTTP account for sending up results to the
> database. username's are organization names (e.g., cisco,
> sun, lanl, etc.). What do you want as your username?
> "tu-dresden" or "zih"?

These are suggestions, btw. Feel free to pick your organization's
username, but we try to make them related to the actual organization
name (e.g., mine is "cisco").

>> So far I'm using text output only. How can I set up an own
>> data base? There are some PHP files in the MTT tarball. Do
>> they initialize data base and tables and so on? is there
>> any script for this? Does is require mysql or postgres or
>> any of the two?
> Postgres, but the server-side is already taken care of.
> There's a centralized database setup at Indiana Univ, and
> the MTT test results can be viewed here:

We *could* tell you how to setup your own db at Dresden (that's the
eventual goal -- let anyone host their own MTT database who wants
to), but it would be great if you could use our central database to
do more testing of OMPI.

>> When I did my own test scripts for a simple test
>> application I followed the example INI files provided and
>> some pieces of documentation and the Perl code. Is there a
>> "real" documentation about all bells and whistles? If not,
>> could we write one or at least provide a step-by-step
>> guide for beginners?
> The wiki is a good starting point. There's links to a bunch
> of stuff on the MTT home wiki page here:
> The closest thing to a Beginner's Guide to using the MTT
> client would be:
>> When I want to do some tests whether a test run was
>> successful of not, which way would you suggest. Either
>> doing it in bash commands placed in the INI file or rather
>> write new Perl modules that will be specific to my
>> application? The trivial test case does part of both,
>> doesn't it?
> B. new Perl modules :)
> But the test suites that are listed in the
> samples/ompi-core-templates.ini file already have modules in
> place to Get (e.g., svn export), Build (e.g., make), Run
> (mpirun), and Analyze (prepare test results for the
> database).
> If you add a *new* test suite to ompi-tests, the existing
> modules should be able to do all of the above (with the
> exception of Analyze, if the test outputs performance data).
> You just might need to add some special conditions in the [Test
> run: foo] section of the INI file to indicate e.g., whether
> some tests are *supposed* to fail, some tests take longer
> time span to run, etc.
>> Furthermore, there is a caching scheme for test results
>> between successive runs. MTT avoids test that were run
>> before. Where does it store this information? How to
>> explicitly clear it?
> The cached data is stored as serialized Perl variables
> down in the scratch directory.
> The --force option "forces" MTT to run everything,
> regardless of whether it's been run before.

Or you can whack the scratch directory and then all the cached data
is also whacked.

>> As one of our current goals, I'm integrating VampirTrace
>> into the MTT test cycle. The most straight forward way
>> would be to have a test application tarball which includes
>> VampirTrace sources, wouldn't it? Would it be feasible to
>> have two download clauses in a single test-get phase and
>> two successive build clauses in a single test-build
>> phase? Could this work with the current macros?
> I don't know of a user that's done two fetches/compiles in a
> single section yet. Why do you need to download/build twice
> for a single test suite? (There's nothing preventing this,
> just wondering.) I think what you want would look something
> like this:
> [Test get: VampirTrace]
> url1 =
> url2 =
> module = Tarball
> [Test build: VampirTrace]
> module = Shell
> shell_build_command = <<EOT
> make this
> make that
> Note: all the test suites currently setup to be used with
> MTT, are fetched with "svn export" out of the ompi-tests SVN
> repository (except the trivial tests, which has its test
> sources embedded in MTT). We'd need to create a
> Test/Get/ module, if you don't want VampirTrace
> added to ompi-tests.

This shouldn't be a problem. And we'll need to add support for the
multiple downloads, but that should not be hard at all. Let us know
what you need and we can do it.

Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems