Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [MTT devel] mtt questions
From: Joshua Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-05 09:01:16

Since I used Open MPI, I didn't have to change the MPI Install phase much at all. But if you are running something non-MPI, you may have to update this section.

For the MPI Details I have:
------------------------------
[MPI Details: OMPI]
exec = ./run-correctness.pl -test &test_executable() \
       -storage-dir /nfs/odinnfs1/san36-1-0/jjhursey/tmp/snapshot/ \
       -np &test_np() \
       -mca "@fixes@ -am ft-enable-cr @pml@" \
       --prefix &test_prefix() -v 2

fixes = -mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0
ft_options = -am ft-enable-cr
-------------------------------

For the Test Get/Build/Run phases I have:
-------------------------------
[Test get: iu_ft_cr]
module = SVN
svn_url = https://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi-tests/trunk/iu/ft/correctness

[Test build: iu_ft_cr]
test_get = iu_ft_cr
save_stdout_on_success = 1
merge_stdout_stderr = 1
stderr_save_lines = -1

module = Shell
shell_build_command = <<EOT
make clean all ADD_FLAGS=""
EOT

[Test run: iu_ft_cr]
include_section = Defaults Test run

test_build = iu_ft_cr
timeout = &max(240, &multiply(30, &test_np()))
pass = &and(&test_wifexited(), &eq(&test_wexitstatus(), 0))
np = &env_max_procs()

simple_pass:tests = &enumerate( "noop", "quiet", "simple", "progress", "inflight", "barrier" )
-------------------------------

-- Josh

On Jan 5, 2011, at 7:35 AM, Mike Dubman wrote:

> Thanks for info!
> Josh, can you please send me mtt.ini file you used with C/R tests as a reference for using non-MPI application?
>
> Also, found following inside RunEngine.pm code:
>
> # Set some thresholds for an early exit
> my $break_threshold;
> $break_threshold->{MTT::Values::PASS} = Value($ini, $section, "break_threshold_pass");
> $break_threshold->{MTT::Values::FAIL} = Value($ini, $section, "break_threshold_fail");
> $break_threshold->{MTT::Values::TIMED_OUT} = Value($ini, $section, "break_threshold_timeout");
> $break_threshold->{MTT::Values::SKIPPED} = Value($ini, $section, "break_threshold_skipped");
>
> but it seems like "break rules" are available per single test section instead of whole mtt session.
> Regards
> Mike
>

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joshua Hursey <jjhursey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
> > On Jan 4, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Mike Dubman wrote:
> >
> >> Do you know if there is mtt option to stop mtt execution if job`s failure ratio succeeds specified value, something like:
> >>
> >> [mtt]
> >> stop_on_test_failures=1%
> >
> > I don't recall an option like that, offhand.
>
> I don't think so either. This would be neat to have for those rare scenarios when something fundamental in Open MPI breaks and we would prefer to stop testing early instead of continuing to run tests even if they are all going to fail.
>

> >> Also, are there any ini files examples/successes of how to use mtt with non-MPI based applications?
> >
> > No. It *shouldn't* be hard, though -- just make the MPI Details exec statement not use "mpirun"...? (of course, our phase names are biased towards "MPI", but they could just as well be "Middleware", for example)
>
> I successfully did this when testing the C/R functionality in Open MPI, and a couple other groups are looking at supporting non-MPI middleware as well. The C/R tests are all wrapped up in their own perl script (to do start/checkpoint/restart/...), so were essentially a non-MPI application. As Jeff mentioned, it was just enough to change the MPI Details section to use your own launcher (or you may be able to even go without a launcher if you just want to run the tests directly). Then you will need to define new Test Build/Run phases for the non-MPI test suite that you are using. And you should be all set.
>
> If for some reason that does not work, let us know since it is something that needs to be fixed since the MTT client should be flexible enough to support a wide manner of middleware.
>
> -- Josh
>

> > --
> > Jeff Squyres
> > jsquyres_at_[hidden]