Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [MTT devel] GSOC application
From: Ethan Mallove (ethan.mallove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-14 16:50:07

On Tue, Apr/14/2009 09:27:14PM, Mike Dubman wrote:
> [...]
> mtt-result-submit-to-datastore.pt script on the xml that it dumped for
> that particular test.
>
> Specifically: I do like having partial results submitted while my MTT
> tests are running. *Cisco's testing cycle is about 24 hours, but groups
> of tests are finishing all the time, so it's good to see those results
> without having to wait the full 24 hours before anything shows up. *I
> guess that's my only comment on the idea of having a script that
> traverses the MTT scratch to find / submit everything -- I'd prefer if
> we kept the same Reporter idea and used an underlying .py script to
> submit results as they become ready.
>
> Is this do-able?
>
> sounds good, we should introduce some guid (like pid) for mtt session,
> where all mtt results generated by this session will be referring to this
> guid.* Later we use this guid to submit partial results as they become
> ready and connect it to the appropriate mtt session object (see models.py)
>
> mtt-results-query.py - sample script to query datastore and generate
> some simple visual/tabular reports. It will serve as tutorial for
> howto access mtt data from scripts for reporting.
>
> Later, we add another script to replace php web frontend. It will be
> hosted on google appengine machines and will provide web viewer for
> mtt results. (same way like index.php does today)
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > * * *b. mtt_save_to_db.py - script which will go over mtt scratch
> dir, find
> > * * *all xml files generated for every mtt phase, parse it and save
> > * * *datastore, preserving test results relations,i.e. all test
> results will
> > * * *be grouped by mtt general info: mpi version, name, date, ....
> >
> > * * *c. same script can scan, parse and save from xml files
> generated by
> > * * *wrapper scripts for non mtt based executions (fluent, ..)
>
> I'm confused here. *Can't MTT be outfitted to report results of a
> Fluent run?
>
> I think we can enhance mtt to be not only mpi testing platform, but
> also to serve as mpi benchmarking platform. We can use datastore to
> keep mpi-based benchmarking results in the same manner like mtt does
> for testing results. (no changes to mtt required for that, it is just
> a side effect of using datastore to keep data of any type)
>
> I think that Ethan was asking was: can't MTT run Fluent and then use the
> normal Reporter mechanism to report the results into whatever back-end
> data store we have? *(postgres or GDS)
>
> ahhh, okie, i see.
>
> Correct me if Im wrong, the current mtt implementation allows following
> way of executing mpi test:
> /path/to/mpirun <mpirun options> <test>
>
> Many mpi based applications have embedded MPI libraries and non-standard
> way to start it, one should set env variable to point to desired mpi
> installation or pass it as cmd line argument, for example:

We'd probably want a special "MPI details" INI section to run Fluent,
e.g.,

  [MPI Details: Fluent]
  exec = fluent @fluent_args@

> for pamcrash:
> pamworld -np 2 -mpidir=/path/to/openmpi/dir ....

Ditto for pamcrash.

> Im not sure if it is possible to express that execution semantic in mtt
> ini file. Please suggest.
> So far, it seems that such executions can be handled externally from mtt
> but using same object model.

MTT supports the following INI parameters:

   * setenv
   * prepend_path
   * env_module
   * env_importer

> *
>
> I can see the value of both sides -- a) using the MTT client as the
> gateway to *all* data storage, or b) making MTT but one (possibly of
> many) tools that can write into the GDS. *a) certainly is more
> attractive towards having a common data format back in GDS such that a
> single web tool is capable of reporting from the data and being able to
> make conherent sense out of the data (vs. 3rd party tools that put data
> back in GDS that may not be in exactly the same format / layout and
> therefore our web reporter may not be able to make sense out of the data
> and report on it).
>
> I think that having a Reporter/GDS.pm that system()'s the back-end
> python script gives the best of both worlds -- the MTT client can
> [continue to] submit results in the normal way, but there's also a
> standalone script that can submit results from external tool runs (e.g.,
> manually running Fluent, parsing the results, and submitting to our
> GDS). *And hopefully the back-end python script will enforce a specific
> structure to the data that is submitted so that all tools -- MTT and any
> 3rd party tools -- adhere to the same format and the reporter can
> therefore report on it coherently.
>
> agree. (a) is a preferred form. (b) can be used for tools that cannot be
> called from mtt.
> *
>
> For the attachment...
>
> I can "sorta read" python, but I'm not familiar with its intricacies and
> its internal APIs.
>
> - models.py: looks good. *I don't know if *all* the fields we have are
> listed here; it looks fairly short to me. *Did you attempt to include
> all of the fields we submit through the various phases in Reporter are
> there, or did you intentionally leave some out? *(I honestly haven't
> checked; it just "feels short" to me compared to our SQL schema).
>
> I listed only some of the fields in every object representing specific
> test result source (called phase in mtt language). This is because every
> test result source object is derived from python provided db.Expando
> class. This gives us great flexibility, like adding dynamic attributes for
> every objects, for example:
>
> obj = new MttBuildPhaseResult()
> obj.my_favorite_dynamic_key = "hello"
> obj.my_another_dynamic_key = 7
>
> So, we can have all phase attributes in the phase object without defining
> it in the *sql schema way*. Also we can query object model by these
> dynamic keys.
>
> *

It looks like model.py doesn't have the daisy chain of inheritance
that the SQL schema requires.

    http://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/mtt/browser/trunk/docs/sql-schema-v3.pdf

Shouldn't RunTestPhase back-reference the MPIInstallPhase,
TestBuildPhase, and TestSession phase? E.g., we might need to look at
the configure arguments that are keyed to a given test run.

-Ethan