Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [MTT devel] GSOC application
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-20 11:38:10

On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Josh Hursey wrote:

> Yeah I think this sounds like a good way to move forward with this
> work. The database schema is pretty complex. If you need help on the
> database side of things let me know.
>
> To get started, would it be useful to have a meeting over the phone/
> telepresence to design the datastore layout? This gives us an
> opportunity to start from a blank slate with regards to the
> datastore, so it may be useful brainstorm a bit beforehand.

Yes, it probably would. My understanding of hadoop (which is very
highlevel) is that just dump everything in without too much concern
about the structure / "schema". But I could be wrong on that.

> The Google Apps account is under my personal Google account, so I'm
> reluctant to use it. I think the reason it took so long for me, was
> because when I originally signed up it was in limited beta. I think
> the approval time is much shorter now (maybe a day?), and we can make
> an openmpi or mtt account that we can use.
>
> With regard to Hadoop, I don't think that IU has a set of machines
> that would work, but I can ask around. We could always try Hadoop on
> a single machine if people wanted to play around with data querying/
> storage.
>
> I don't have a strong preference either way, but Google Apps may
> provide us with a lower overhead solution for the long run even
> though it costs $$.

It looks like there is a set that you can use for free. When you go
over one of several metrics (CPU hours/day, storage, bandwidth in,
bandwidth out, etc.), then you have to start paying. But even with
that, the costs look *quite* reasonable and should be easily covered
by the combined Open MPI organizations (I'm talking hundreds of
dollars here, not tens of thousands).

Cisco Systems