Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [MTT devel] visual reports for mtt
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-25 11:47:59

Just to bring the info to the list...

There have been some off list e-mails and some in-person discussions
about a fascinating idea that looks promising here.

How about moving the MTT data store to the Google Apps Engine/
datastore? See here:

     http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html

Josh looked at this about a year ago and thought that there would be
some interesting possibilities here, but never had the cycles to
follow up on it. Specifically: if we move all the MTT data from a
postgres DB to the Google Apps datastore, we might have a highly
scalable mechanism for queries, and therefore be able to do much more
interesting kinds of queries (right now, we're fairly limited in our
queries because of memory and CPU restrictions via Apache/PHP/jpgraph/
etc., and also because www.open-mpi.org is used for other server
purposes). So moving the data to the Google Apps datastore *could*
give us a better underlying platform.

A further thought is that perhaps we should roll up all the pending
ideas we have for MTT (and there are a lot of them ;-) -- to include
the one described above) and apply for a Google Summer of Code student.

     http://code.google.com/soc/

GSoC applications can be submitted March 9-13 2009. This sounds like
it could be a winner...

Want to start a wiki page with a list of GSoC ideas?

On Feb 24, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Josh Hursey wrote:
>
> >> Should we allow direct postgres connections (across the internet)
> >> to specific OMPI organizations who want/need it?
> >
> > It is possible that we could allow read-only access to specific
> > organizations. I would be extremely careful about granting write
> > access.
>
> Agreed; I think we should only allow read-only to specific IP
> addresses.
>
> It sounds like this *might* solve some of the issues (assuming they
> want to take the time to figure out the schema). Should we explore
> this possibility?
>
> (the SQL schemas are in the MTT SVN repo, if you didn't know that
> already)
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems