Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

Subject: [MTT devel] bogus timestamps in database
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-17 16:35:38

Here's a fun report (as of 17 July 2008):

     http://www.open-mpi.org/mtt/index.php?do_redir=775

Note that two of the rows are in the future. :-) (Absoft has since
fixed the problem; ntp accidentally got turned off)

Ethan and I talked about this a bit, and then Josh and I talked about
it. Posting here to summarize everything:

- It seems like a good solution for the moment is for submit.php to
examine all the timestamps in a given submit and compare them to
now(). Find the timestamp that latest in time, and compute
x=latest_timestamp - now(). If x>0, then subtract x from *all*
timestamps in the submitted data. Then print a Big Hairy Warning on
the client that their time is not coordinated with the server.

- Josh thinks that we should have a larger conversation about how to
have some values be regulated (e.g., MPI name, test suite name,
etc.). I agree -- classic case: some people call it "intel", others
call it "intel suite". They show up differently in the DB. My $0.02
is that we should allow people to call it whatever they want in
the .ini file, but then somehow ensure to submit the names all
consistently (e.g., ini file has a map of "this ini section is
reported as 'intel'"), and if the name is invalid, reject the data
from the DB (or maybe put it in "quarrantine" so that it can be
cleaned up and put in the main DB)?

Cisco Systems