Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-11 10:50:24

On Sep 6, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Ethan Mallove wrote:

> Would it make sense to add a "run_autogen" boolean parameter
> of some kind for GNU_Install.pm? Or is there a reason the
> autogen step has been left out for this Install plug-in?

It was intentionally left out. "autogen.sh" is not a GNU-standard
name -- it's fairly OMPI-specific (although I think a smattering of
other open source projects use that name as well -- I think we
originally copied the name from someone else). Other projects either
have their own bootstrap scripts or just manually invoke autoconf/
automake/libtool/etc.

Regardless, there is no standardized bootstraping step to getting the
GNU auto* tools setup on a project. We wrote the autogen.sh script
in OMPI a) for convenience of the developers, and b) because we do
some extra special secret sauce for finding all of OMPI's components
and incorporating them into the build process (something that
Automake doesn't like to do by itself).

Cisco Systems