Open MPI logo

MTT Devel Mailing List Archives

From: Ethan Mallove (ethan.mallove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-27 11:45:03

With regards to a Gmail-style interface for labeling, got a
comment/concern on the SQL.

IIRC, when cherry-picking was implemented (for performance
reports), we attempted to compose a WHERE clause that would
effect the cherry-pick. This led to some wild WHERE clauses.
E.g., consider the following example:

  +---+----+----+----+---+
  |# |A |B |C |D |
  +---+----+----+----+---+
  |1 |1 |2 |3 |4 |
  |2 |5 |6 |7 |8 |
  |3 |9 |10 |11 |12 |
  |4 |28 |10 |11 |12 |
  |5 |29 |10 |11 |12 |
  +---+----+----+----+---+

If we want to cherry-pick lines 1, 2 and 3, then our WHERE
clause will look like this:

  SELECT blah blah FROM blah,blah
  WHERE
   (A=1 AND B=2 AND C=3 AND D=4) OR
   (A=5 AND B=6 AND C=7 AND D=8) OR
   (A=9 AND B=10 AND C=11 AND D=12)

We eventually chose do the filtering in PHP on row # since
there does not seem to be a good way to filter by row # in
SQL. The point being, a nasty WHERE clause *could* lead to a
loooong tag operation.

Given the above, a good starting point might be to restrict
tagging to the following:

  1. Allow tagging only on entire reports
  2. Allow tagging only on a single row at a time

My $0.02.

-Ethan