Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] [hwloc-announce] Hardware locality (hwloc) v1.8rc1 released
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-09 03:22:25

Le 09/11/2013 01:33, Jiri Hladky a écrit :
> Hi Brice,
>
> I have bumped into the following issue:
>
> hwloc-1.7.2:
> This works as expected:
> utils/hwloc-calc core:0-1 -H pu
> PU:0 PU:1 PU:2 PU:3
>
> Now intuitively one would expect this to work as well (as supported by
> taskset/numactl commands)
> utils/hwloc-calc core:0,1 -H pu
> PU:0 PU:1
> Unfortunately, ",1" is silently ignored.
>
> hwloc-1.8rc1 does better:
> $ ./hwloc-calc core:0,1 -H pu
> invalid character at `,1' after index at `0,1'
> ignored unrecognized argument core:0,1

Somebody got the same issue a couple months ago. That's why I've added
these explicit warning in 1.8. NEWS says:

  + hwloc-calc and friends have a more robust parsing of locations given
    on the command-line and they report useful error messages about it.

> However, I would vote for the format
> object:index,index1,index2
>
> to be supported and being equivalent to
>
> object:index object:index1 object:index2
>
> What do you think about it?

It's annoying to implement because the current code was designed for
(nested) loops only. Given that object:index1 object:index2 is easy to
write, I'd vote for not making the code too complex.

Brice