Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] How do I access CPUModel info string
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-25 18:06:05

Robin Scher, le Thu 25 Oct 2012 23:57:38 +0200, a écrit :
> ; eax = 0x80000002 --> eax, ebx, ecx, edx: get processor name string
> (part 1)
> mov eax,0x80000002
> cpuid

Oh, this is indeed *exactly* the model name string. I only knew about
the vendor_id string.

> I don't know if that would work on Win64, though.

It should: cpuid is not a privileged instruction.

> Do you think those could be added to hwloc?

Yes: we already use cpuid for the x86 backend. That will only work on
x86 hosts of course.

Brice, that actually brings another piece to the plugin engine: on
Windows ideally we should still get the topology from the OS, but take
the cpu string from the x86 backend...

Samuel