Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] hwloc_get_last_cpu_location and hwloc_get_cpubind
From: Marc-André Hermanns (m.a.hermanns_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-17 05:48:46

Hi Samuel,

my apologies for not checking this. On a Linux box this indeed worked out of the box.

This system has 4 levels
Cpuset: 0x00000fff
Number of objects at depth 0: 1
Number of objects at depth 1: 2
Number of objects at depth 2: 12
Number of objects at depth 3: 12

It seems now that it has the whole system in the cpuset. How can I
really infer the PU this process was run on? I would have expected the
cpuset to have only 1 element per level to indicate the path from
machine to PU. Evidently my understanding of this functionality is still
not correct.

Best regards,
Marc-Andre

On 16.01.2012, at 14:33, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marc-André Hermanns, le Mon 16 Jan 2012 14:01:23 +0100, a écrit :
>> hwloc_get_last_cpu_location(topology, cpuset, 0);
>>
>> and I am at a total loss on what I should make of this. It seems I am
>> doing something fundamentally wrong,
>
> You need to check the value returned by the function:
> get_last_cpu_location is currently implemented only on Linux. I don't
> think MacOS provides the information.
>
> Samuel

Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
c/o Laboratory for Parallel Programming
52056 Aachen | Germany
Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de
Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr Ph.D. | Dr. Norbert Drewes