Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] GPU/NIC/CPU locality
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-29 09:28:38

On Nov 29, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Stefan Eilemann wrote:

>> You are probably missing the libpci-devel package.
>
> Thanks, that either doesn't exist or wasn't installed on Redhat. It works now.
>
> I think messages of found/not found optional modules could be more prominent at the end of the configure process.

FWIW, I've traditionally been against such things for two reasons:

1. The information *was* displayed above (i.e., that pci-devel wasn't found/wasn't usable/whatever). I realize that most people don't read the stdout of configure at all, but all the information you need is already there.

2. A list of what will/will not be built at the end tends to grow lengthy such that it dilutes the value of repeating the information at the end.

That being said, I can *somewhat* see the value of displaying a user-friendly "PCI device support will not be built" vs. the output of a configure test, which might be somewhat obscure. However, in hwloc's case, the configure test output is pretty self-evident. Examples:

checking for PCI... no
checking pci/pci.h usability... no
checking pci/pci.h presence... no
checking for pci/pci.h... no
checking for LIBXML2... yes
checking for xmlNewDoc... yes
checking for final LIBXML2 support... yes

A simple string search for "pci" and "xml" will find these lines in the configure output. Assumedly, if you're building from source, you've likely got at least *some* experience and it shouldn't be unreasonable to ask you to go look in the output of configure.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not dead-set against a listing at the bottom. I just find it redundant and somewhat of a maintenance hassle.

For corporate legal information go to: