Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] GPU/NIC/CPU locality
From: Stefan Eilemann (eilemann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-29 03:57:56

Bonjour Brice,

On 29. Nov 2011, at 9:45, Brice Goglin wrote:

> hwloc 1.3 already has support for PCI device detection. These new
> objects contain a "class" field that can help you know if it's a NIC/GPU/...

Ok, time to upgrade my installation. The cluster has RHEL6.1 which ships with an older version.

> How are you using GPUs and NICs in your software? Which libraries or
> ways do you use to access them?

I use them mostly with OpenGL ('XOpenDisplay(":0.<gpu>")' and RDMA in Equalizer/Collage (see links in signature). Is there a straight way to associate the GPUs with the corresponding X screen? I guess at least the path through the Xorg PCI ID should work, but it would be nice to have that in hwloc.

We also use Cuda/OpenMPI here, but I guess this will be easier to support. I'll look into the latest source of lstopo to see how it's done.

BTW, I recently created a library for ZeroConf GPU discovery[1], this might be of interest for you.

Cheers,

Stefan.

[1] http://www.equalizergraphics.com/gpu-sd

--