Subject: Re: [hwloc-users] Re : lstopo on multiple machines
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-16 13:59:46

Marcelo,

Could you describe a bit more what you would like to see? What we're
thinking of doing is having something like:

System #0
  Machine #0
    Socket #0
  Machine #1

If people discover the network topology too (for instance the hierarchy
of switches), we could even have

System #0
  Group0 #0
    Group1 #0
      Machine #0
      Machine #4
    Group1 #1
      Machine #1
      Machine #3
  Group0 #1
    Group1 #2
      Machine #2
      Machine #7
    Group1 #3
      Machine #5
      Machine #6

Second question. How would like this topology to be built? We could have
something like this in the API:

/* create a topology with only a System object root */
hwloc_topology_create_empty()

/* load a XML topology and insert it below a given object */
hwloc_topology_insert_xml_by_parent()

A new utility would use these to agregate multiple XML topologies. You
would have to run lstopo foo.xml on each node and run this new utility
to create the global XML topology. Finally, you can run hwloc with the
new global topology and do whatever you want.

Brice