Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] GIT: hwloc branch master updated. 0e6fe307c10d47efee3fb95c50aee9c0f01bc8ec
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-07 16:59:56

On Apr 7, 2014, at 4:33 PM, Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So you're (always?) getting tarballs without any doc/doxygen-doc
> subdirectories?

That's correct -- doc/doxygen-doc is in the source tree, but does not end up in the tarball.

> Does "make dist" say that it's copying the doxygen-doc
> subdirectory? Any idea who's removing it later?

Mmm... good point...

/me investigates

Ah, I see the issue. On OS X, this:

doit cp -rpf $srcdir/doc/doxygen-doc/ $distdir/doc

Does not actually copy the doxygen-doc directory to $distdir. If I remove the trailing slash, it works:

doit cp -rpf $srcdir/doc/doxygen-doc $distdir/doc

(i.e., doxygen-doc ends up in $distdir and distcheck works properly)

There's probably a reason for this, but I'm not too interested in tracking it down. I just removed the trailing slash...

I note that the OS X man page for cp says:

     Historic versions of the cp utility had a -r option. This implementation
     supports that option; however, its use is strongly discouraged, as it
     does not correctly copy special files, symbolic links, or fifo's.

Instead, the OS X cp supports -R (Linux cp does, too).

I guess we should be using something better than cp -r to copy the directory over -- perhaps tar?