Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Attribute request
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-29 04:12:38

Assuming people will confirm that ARM information isn't so simple, I
wonder where it's better to put architecture specific fields. With the
proposed solution, Intel and ARM would be different:
    Architecture=x86_64
    CPUVendor=GenuineIntel
    CPUModel=Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz
    CPUModelNumber=45
    CPUFamilyNumber=6
and
    Architecture=armv7l
    CPUVendor=cardhu
    CPUModel=ARMv7 Processor rev 9 (v7l)
    CPUImplementer=0x41
    CPUArchitecture=7
    CPUVariant=0x2
    CPUPart=0xc09
    CPURevision=9

We could also merge those arch-specific into a single generic one:
    Architecture=x86_64
    CPUVendor=GenuineIntel
    CPUModel=Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz
    CPUModelNumber=family=6;model=45
and
    Architecture=armv7l
    CPUVendor=cardhu
    CPUModel=ARMv7 Processor rev 9 (v7l)

CPUModelNumber=implementer=0x41;architecture=7;variant=0x2;part=0xc09;revision=9

The drawback is that you'd have to parse CPUModelNumber to extract
family and model.

I am not sure which one is best.

Brice