Subject: [hwloc-devel] Relationship between Cario and X11
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-01 09:58:57

I notice that we have an explicit dependency between Cairo and X11 in configure:

-----
        if test "x$enable_X11" != "xyes"; then
          AC_MSG_WARN([X11 headers not found, Cairo/X11 back-end disabled])
          hwloc_cairo_happy=no
        fi
-----

Is there any reason for this?

I ask because my Mac (Lion) has Cairo installed via MacPorts, but it doesn't find XOpenDisplay in -lX11, and so it disables X11 support (which is fine), but that also disables Cairo support (which is a bummer).

Indeed, I manually disabled this extra check in configure, and I can still seem to use Cairo in lstopo (e.g., generate PDFs and PNGs).

Are there some platforms where linking Cairo depends on X11? If so, is there a way we can discover that in configure? (because Cairo doesn't seem to need X11 on OS X for just outputting PDFs and PNGs)