Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] git / nightly builds
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-02 12:05:22

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Sep 29, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Now why do we still need a call to git-describe in Isn't
> this script supposed to just read what distscript.csh did? (which would
> mean that "if test -z "$HWLOC_SNAPSHOT_VERSION" is useless). Or do you
> need that as a fallback for when we compile instead of doing make dist?
> In one case, we force the snapshot by modifying VERSION (make dist), in
> the other case we git describe at runtime (make). It would be good to
> merge these two cases somehow.

Basically, there's a (possibly artificial?) disparity between:

1. running "make dist" from a developer clone
2. pre-processing VERSION to put in the describe version and then running "make dist" (i.e., the make_*_tarball scripts)

Specifically, VERSION in the repo has:

Ie., snapshot_version is blank. Which is why will fill in the current "git describe" value if snapshot_version is blank.

But you're right -- this is putting "git describe" in two places. What if VERSION in the repo has:

And therefore always just uses the snapshot_version value (because it will never be blank).

The downside of this is that "make dist" from a dev clone won't accurately represent the tree, but that's probably ok.

*** If you're kosher with this, I'll remove that extra logic from Maybe I'll make it error if "snapshot_version" is empty, or something.

>> 2. contrib/nightly/make_snapshot_tarball:
>> - Invoked via cron on the build machine
>> [snip]
> Ok I didn't know that there was so website-specific things in that
> script. I assumed it was mainly a make distcheck (if so, I would have
> tried to reuse it in the regression testing tool).

K. I think "make dist[check]" is the heart of everything (and the thing that is "re-used", so to speak everywhere); the rest is processing that we do for whatever reason that the tarball is being built.

Any other thoughts on how we can simplify things?

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: