Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] git / nightly builds
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-29 10:32:45

Le 29/09/2013 14:00, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) a écrit :
> Agreed. Let's have distscript.csh be the one that sets the
> git-describe value in VERSION (more below)

Ok thanks, much better.

Now why do we still need a call to git-describe in get_version.sh? Isn't
this script supposed to just read what distscript.csh did? (which would
mean that "if test -z "$HWLOC_SNAPSHOT_VERSION" is useless). Or do you
need that as a fallback for when we compile instead of doing make dist?
In one case, we force the snapshot by modifying VERSION (make dist), in
the other case we git describe at runtime (make). Itwould be good to
merge these two cases somehow.

> 2. contrib/nightly/make_snapshot_tarball:
> - Invoked via cron on the build machine
> - Very specifically written to interact with the web download tree
> - Generally does the following:
> a) Gets a new git clone (into a unique directory)
> b) Compares output from "git describe ..." to latest_snapshot.txt
> c) If they're the same, exit 0
> --> If there are no commits since last tarball, no need to do anything
> d) Run autogen, configure, make distcheck.
> e) Move resulting tarballs to the web download directory
> e) Re-generate md5sums.txt/sha1sums.txt

Ok I didn't know that there was so website-specific things in that
script. I assumed it was mainly a make distcheck (if so, I would have
tried to reuse it in the regression testing tool).

> However, for the other cases, I think that doxygen is our main culprit for complexity. :-\ Meaning: I'm now not sure how to make them simpler...

Yes, there's likely no way to simplify that much.

Brice