Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] git / nightly builds
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-27 10:41:49

On Sep 27, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I don't think so. I am planning to only update the regression testing
> for v1.7 as well.

K.

> BUT what if the stable OMPI 1.6 needs a hwloc fix? Should we keep the
> hwloc v1.5 branch open?

Errrr... let's cross that bridge when/if we need to. :-)

>> 2. With SVN, adding the r number in the tarball version was sufficient to observe ordering of the tarballs. For example:
>> [snip]
>> I think that this is ok (other projects use this "git describe" kind of behavior for their nightly snapshots), but this is a change from what we used to do, so I wanted to call it out specifically.
>>
>> Are you guys ok with this?
>
> That'll work for me.
>
> What about when we are actually doing a release where we don't want a
> git-describe suffix ? Does the above apply to contrib/make_dist_tarball
> in general? Or only to when it runs at night (in make dist only?) ?

There are actually 2 scripts:

contrib/dist/make_dist_tarball
contrib/nightly/make_snapshot_tarball (currently called create_tarball.sh)

The former works largely as it did before: it'll make hwloc-<VERSION file data>.tar.*.

The latter is being heavily updated to basically use "git describe".