Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc-1.6.x tainted with GPL?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-06 10:41:04

On Sep 6, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Pavan Balaji <balaji_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The mpich-3.0.x series was released with hwloc-1.6.x. One our of partners just brought it to our attention that this version of hwloc has LGPL-2.1 code in src/libltdl.

Because GPL violations are quite serious, I want to be totally clear: ***your statement is totally incorrect***.

libltdl distributed in hwloc is not LGPL.

I cite the comments in src/libltdl/ltdl.h:

As a special exception to the GNU Lesser General Public License,
if you distribute this file as part of a program or library that
is built using GNU Libtool, you may include this file under the
same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

This special exception is included in every single file under src/libltdl except README and COPYING.LIB.

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: