Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc-1.6.x tainted with GPL?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-06 10:41:04

On Sep 6, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Pavan Balaji <balaji_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The mpich-3.0.x series was released with hwloc-1.6.x. One our of partners just brought it to our attention that this version of hwloc has LGPL-2.1 code in src/libltdl.

Because GPL violations are quite serious, I want to be totally clear: ***your statement is totally incorrect***.

libltdl distributed in hwloc is not LGPL.

I cite the comments in src/libltdl/ltdl.h:

-----
As a special exception to the GNU Lesser General Public License,
if you distribute this file as part of a program or library that
is built using GNU Libtool, you may include this file under the
same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.
-----

This special exception is included in every single file under src/libltdl except README and COPYING.LIB.