Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] nvidia and nouveau driver differences
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-03 17:13:22

If I remember correctly, NVIDIA or AMD proprietary drivers cannot use
the kernel sysfs API because it's GPL-only. They can't create devices in
sysfs, that's why hwloc doesn't get any GPU OS device with NVIDIA.

card* and controlD64 is what we get with opensource DRM drivers that use
the sysfs/drm kernel API. But I don't expect people to do much with them
as long as there's no way for an application to know if it's using card0
or card1. That's why there's a NVIDIA specific plugin using NVCtrl: you
give a display such as :0.0, it returns the locality of the PCI device
running it.

Brice