Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] RPATH issues when building in Fedora 18
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-23 13:11:15

Le 23/04/2013 16:58, Jiri Hladky a écrit :
> * 0x0001 ... standard RPATHs (e.g. /usr/lib); such RPATHs are a minor
> * issue but are introducing redundant searchpaths without
> * providing a benefit. They can also cause errors in
> multilib
> * environments.
>
> RPATH is not allowed to be in binary files in RPM:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath
>
> I have tried to eliminate rpath by using methods described here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Removing_Rpath
>
> * If the application uses configure, try passing the
> /--disable-rpath/ flag to configure. => it's not supported in the
> current version of hwloc

Hello,

I don't see any easy way to add a disable-rpath.

I am not very familiar with how rpath work. I assume that libtool
doesn't add a rpath when you install in standard directories? At least
Debian packages don't specify any rpath, even if --libdir=/usr/lib/$arch
is specified on the configure command-line.

If /usr/lib64 is the default path for 64bits libs on Fedora, shouldn't
somebody take care of removing the corresponding rpath too?

This is likely related (but the reversed case) to the comment about
Fedora in http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue. One link on that page says
that rerunning libtoolize before configure may help. Can you try that?
(maybe compare the new libtool script with the one from the hwloc
tarball to check that some lib64 things appeared?)

> * If the application uses a local copy of libtool, add the following
> lines to the spec after %configure:=> it will make tests FAIL
> (without this change, it runs just fine - all tests are PASSED)
>
> FAIL: test-hwloc-annotate.sh
> FAIL: test-hwloc-assembler.sh
> PASS: test-hwloc-calc.sh
> PASS: test-hwloc-distances.sh
> PASS: test-hwloc-distrib.sh
> FAIL: test-hwloc-info.sh

I am not sure why some fail while the other succeed. You may need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to fix this?

Brice